Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Please help me put my dog down. The vets in Texas won't come

Customer Question

Please help me put my dog down. The vets in Texas won't come to your house or prescribe meds to do it humanely at home.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? I paid for this and no one can help me? Please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am here. I am so sorry to hear you are having to make this decision to let go. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.
I am going to be completely honest here knowing that this is not what you want to hear.
There is no humane way to euthanize your dog at home. Over 26 years I have seen numerous owners try this only to end up bringing them in to the clinic due to extreme suffering.
Many people think that you can just give an over dose of medication and the pet will just go to sleep. That is not true unless the medication is give directly in to the vein. When given orally over doses of medication cause vomiting, seizures and painful organ failure. This is never a peaceful passing and can be very traumatic for both you and the pet.
If you would give me your zip code I would like to see if I can find a vet that will come out for you. If not then I would suggest contacting a large animal vet rather then a regular small animal vet. While large animal/farm vets do not normally work on small animals most will do an euthanasia visit.
I wish I could tell you that there was a way to do this yourself but I think it would cause unneeded suffering both for you and Sadie.
Again if you can give me your zip code I would like to see what I can find for you.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. and no. that is not what I wanted to hear. Thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I give you my zipcode could you put me in touch with a vet that would prescribe medicine to euthanize?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And thank you for the information on the large/small vet. I had no idea.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I can put you in touch with a vet that can come out and euthanize for you however it is illegal in every state in the US for a vet to prescribe the medication used to euthanize. Also as I mentioned above nothing will provide a peaceful passing unless given IV which most people can not do without training.
I just do not want your last memory of her to be of her suffering greatly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. me either. I am a trained nurse so I can do IV. I just feel at this point I have no options. I want her to pass at home, peacefully and then be buried in our back yard. It seems at this point she will be taken away from me and be put down in vet office which she HATES. of course.So there is no easy way like with cats and acetaminophen? Because that was a good passing for my old cat.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Wow I can not believe your cat had a peaceful passing with Tylenol that is unheard of and I have seen the suffering this causes in cats so you were lucky.
I am sure we could find a vet to come to you. I can not ethically or in good conscious tell you to try this at home.
If you follow the link below and put in your zip code it will give you a list of housecall vets to try
http://www.vetlocator.com/housecallvets.php
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. And yes, her passing was peaceful. I gave her Tylenol and she fell asleep on my lap and passed. She was very old though.Again, thank you for your time. I am at a crossroads with a dear, dear family member and I guess I have to seek help.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and I wish there were more I could do to help you. The best thing for her would be to enlist the help of a vet. I know this is never ever easy but letting them pass peacefully and with dignity is the last act of love we can show them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I wish you the best and I will keep you both in my thoughts