Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our maltese just died from a broken neck sustained when she

Customer Question

Our maltese just died from a broken neck sustained when she fell down a flight of stairs and hit her head on the baseboard. Have you heard of other traumatic occurances like this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how heart breaking the sudden passing of our pets can be.
Having worked emergency medicine for more then 12 years I can say yes while not often, I have seen traumatic injuries such as this. In fact a few month ago we had a Golden Retriever that was being walked on a leash and lunged forward very suddenly when he saw a rabbit. The sudden jerk on his neck resulting in a broken neck. Freak accidents just happen and sometimes there is no way to explain it.
Just like with humans it is not always the height of the fall but the way they land. If she was falling down the steps and hit her head then this could be compared to a human that dives into a shallow pool hitting there head forcing the cervical spine to be suddenly compressed resulting in a break. If the break is bad enough or in just the right place this severs the spinal cord resulting in death.
Again I am so sorry this happened to you and I am sure you are missing her like crazy. Please know that this is not your fault and not something that we see all the time when a dog falls down stairs.
I hope this helps in some small way. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy