Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 15 year old Chow who lately has an infection in his

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old Chow who lately has an infection in his right ear, his right eye seems to be sunken, he has trouble eating. Antibiotics like cefaral and childrens antibiotics do not seem to help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
It sounds like your dog has an inner ear infection that is affecting the nerves in the inner ear. This can lead to something called Horner's Syndrome. Horner's will cause a sunken eye, small pupil and raised third eyelid.
The treatment is by managing the ear infection. The Horner's signs typically resolve on their own over 1-2 months. As an antibiotic, I would go with Clavamox. It's a good broad spectrum antibiotic that should get to the inner ear and clear up the infection. They may also want to use an anti-inflammatory dose of a steroid, like Prednisone.
I would not use any topical meds in the ear. It sounds like the infection is deep to the ear drum, so topical meds in the ear can actually make it worse.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.