Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 4 year old pit is suddenly vomiting within 10 minutes

Customer Question

Hi! My 4 year old pit bull is suddenly vomiting within 10 minutes of finishing her meals. This has been going on for 3 days. But is still hungry and playful throughout the day. Still drinking water, urinating, and having bowel movements. And still hungry. No diet change. Any idea what could cause this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Lucy is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.
Is this happening with every meal?
Are her stool normal in consistency and volume?
Does she ever eat things she should not such as toys, clothing, garbage etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every meal, with the exception of "snacks". For example I fed her a small bit of scrambled egg and a half piece of toast today and she did not vomit. At every normal dog food meal for 3 days she vomited immediately or within 10 minutes. Her stool appears normal. She does sometimes eat non food items such as children's plastic Lego pieces or very small plastic ball, etc. never clothing such as socks.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
My first concern when hearing that she is vomiting right after eating was that she has eaten something that is stuck in the stomach. This could be a piece of plastic or even a small ball. It is not uncommon for a foreign object that is to big to exit the stomach to move around sometimes letting food move through and other times preventing it.
The fact that she is able to keep small amounts of food down further leads me to think that there is something in there and there is just not enough room for large meals to move through to the small intestines.
If this were the first day this was happening I would suggest with holding food and just treating at home as we would with basic stomach upset however since it has been going on for 3 days I have to suggest having her seen by a vet for a quick x ray to see if there is in fact something stuck in the stomach.
If she is vomiting after every meals then the lack of nutrients will soon start to cause additional medical problems and should there be an object either in the stomach or in the small intestines this can lead to severe infection, perforation of the intestines, blood loss to the area of intestines where the object is stuck and even death, so not something we want to put off much longer.
She appears to be feeling ok so I do not think this is something you have to rush to the ER for but I would give your vet a call tomorrow and try to get her in before the weekend. I would hate to see her decline over the weekend and you end up with a huge ER bill.
If this were do to a medical condition I would expect to see other problems such other then just the vomiting right after eating.
I hope this helps and she does ok Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Katie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Candy