Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Worried about my 4 yr old female lab she eats well, active,

Customer Question

worried about my 4 yr old female lab she eats well, active, healthy in all aspects but has lost from 97lbs to 70lbs in about 1 year. she seems to be losing some of her eyesight although the vet said her eyes look fine. doing blood tests now what should O look for?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** Thank you for the question today. It is troublesome that there is a significant weight loss without a change in diet or activity level to encourage this weight loss. Starting with a routine blood panel is the best place to start. It would to be used to assess the liver and kidney levels, blood sugar level, blood protein levels, signs of infection and anemia, electrolyte imbalances and is used as a general health screen. From there, further testing can be done if there is an abnormalities on the general health profile. This further blood work really depends on what was abnormal on the first panel. If everything is normal, there is always further testing that can be done the body to look for problems that would not show up on the bloodwork -- such as with an xray or an ultrasound.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what follow up questions I can answer for you.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily