Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is acting weird. His usually a happy boy but his

Customer Question

Hi, my dog is acting weird. His usually a happy boy but his just sitting on the lawn prob about 10* and he won't move when we call him, won't drink water or food. His stomach feels hard. I found one of his poos and it was yellowish
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about Moopsy's distress....
Most likely Moopsy has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in older maltese because of their conformation. Since you did not say that Moopsy had any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain and lack of wanting to move. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Moopsy jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as you can get Moopsy to eat something, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help, I will try to get him to eat, all he wants to do is sit on the lawn witch is about ten degrees, I will take him in the house where it's warm. i noticed before he was having trouble to breathe abit.
Good for you...better to get a better idea after you get Moopsy in...please let me know if you have other questions after he warms up....
Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to bother you, he won't eat when I try to give it to him, when I picked him up he was quietly moaning / crying
Then there may be a minor digestive disturbance. The first thing to do is give Moopsy a Pepcid AC available over the counter at the pharmacy at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs and let him fast for 12 to 24 hrs. After this, give him a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken...see if he is feeling better. If not, then have your vet examine him to be sure we did not miss something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou so much for your help, I will go to the pharmacy when they open. Do you think they sell it over the counter in Australia? Thanks you for your help.
Yes, they will sell it over the counter but it may be called Famotidine...
I really hope sweet little Moopsy feels better soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is our Moppsy, he just stands there :(
THanks for the pictures...he is definitely in some form of pain. Usually if this were a digestive issue, he would have diarrhea or vomiting. Since this is not the case, I really worry, based in the breed, weight and the way he is standing, that he is suffering from a back issue.
Moppsy may not be eating because he is in so much pain....you can try to force feed him some liquified canned food to give the aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs or have your vet examine him....it is hard to know without diagnostics.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that info, yeah as you said it's hard to know. I'll take him to the vet this morning,
EXcellent....try to keep sweet Moppsy as quiet as possible...no stairs or jumping on anything until you can see your vet. I can see from the pictures how sweet he is...
Please let me know how he is doing if you have time...Thanks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took him to the vet, they put him in hospital did some blood tests. I got a call this arvo to say that his liver reading didn't come up as too high, he had toxic poisoning from something, once the vet got off the phone she said he threw up and then passed away, they got him back but only had a weak heartbeat. She pulled blood out of his stomach, he passed away again. <3 but his now painless and in a happy place :(
I am so so sorry!! Poor little Moppsy had something much more serious than I would have expected...but we never know without testing.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious Moppsy....I am so glad that you sent me pictures of your sweet guy....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for you're help, just wish I could of helped my little brother more.
You are very welcome....I know this is hard for you and others. Hang in there!!!
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mooppsy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta