Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is doing a strange snorting sound and appears to

Customer Question

Hi my dog is doing a strange snorting sound and appears to be in distress it's almost as if he's trying to hack up a hairball,after google searching this I saw a few people refer to this as a "reverse sneeze" and to not worry its common - what do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long has this been going on? 2. Does it sound in nay way as if he is trying to clear something in his throat?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been happening on and off for a couple months - maybe like a throat clearing
Hello again and thanks for waiting.Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a different time zone to you and have just com eonline first thing this morning and found your reply however I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. This may be quite common but what you describe is still an abnormality and a disease condition of some kind which should be checked out by your vet. 2. It is impossible to pin down a diagnosis via the internet but consider such thing as chronic upper respiratory tract infections, foreign bodies such as blades of grass at the back of the nasal cavity, or inherited abnormalities of the pharynx or trachea. 3. In some cases a course of prescription drugs such as antibiotics can greatly help I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.