VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

We have a Chihuahua that tied with a minpin on march 31 still

Customer Question

We have a Chihuahua that tied with a minpin on march 31 still no pups her temp has been 99.6 for 3 days there is milk in and we can still feel the pups this is her first litter and she is 3 do they not go into labor on their sometimes or not
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
While there can be some variation in time frame as to when a dog will go into labor (between 63-69 days post breeding), typically a drop in temperature - below 100 degrees is the benchmark, but more commonly this is below 99 degrees - indicates that labor is going to occur within 24 hours.
If their temperatures drop and labor does not occur within that 24 hours time frame, this could indicate that she is having complications in labor.
Given the fact that she's been at the same temperature without fluctuation for three days and she is below that 100 degree benchmark, it would probably be a good idea to get her into a clinic to be seen tonight so they can check on the puppies and make sure everything is going okay with her. If everything is normal and you are safe to wait until her temperature gets a little bit lower, then you can take her home and continue to monitor her.
But if there is some difficulty going on, it is safer for both her and the puppies to get it addressed right away.
If you have any questions or concerns, or need help locating a 24 hours clinic in your area, please reply back. If you give your zip code, I can look up phone numbers for you, or you could try calling your regular clinic's message machine/service to get the phone number of the emergency clinic where they refer their clients.