Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a 10 year old chihuahua that has been coughing and then

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old chihuahua that has been coughing and then gags quite frequently. Sometimes she actually gets mucous like stuff up when she gags. It's not the kennel cough sound but actual coughing. It's happening more and more frequently. She sometimes sounds congested when she breathes as well. In her chest not nose.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Maya.
Definitely, must be very careful with any persistent cough at this age.
Common causes for coughing in dogs can include: A upper respiratory infection (bacterial and/or viral), Asthma, Bronchitis (caused by infection or allergies), Heart disease (an enlarged heart will apply pressure on the lungs), Pneumonia, and Heartworm disease
So, even if a infection is not the primary problem, many causes of coughing can eventually cause a additional infection.
Sometimes, the cough is not due to a long problem, but due to an issue in the trachea or in the heart. For example, an enlarged heart that pushes on the mainstem bronchi that leads to the lungs can easily cause this type of cough.
So, considering that it is persisting and actually worsening, a vet visit cannot wait any longer. Definitely, a vet must listen to the lungs and heart, and possibly get a x-ray to see what they primary problem may be.
To differentiate between trachea issues, lung problems or even heart disease, that x-ray is a very important first step.
Good Luck!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. I apologize if you did not find my answer helpful or satisfactory? May I be of any further assistance?