Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 8th month mid sized golden doodle has been making snuffling

Customer Question

My 8th month mid sized golden doodle has been making snuffling sounds. She is eating, drinking and urine and poop is fine. She is abit on the tired side but other than that seems fine. Could it be allergies? Spear grass in her nose? Or allergies. Sometimes it sounds like a sneeze
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear Abby is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you this evening.
Sniffling/sneezing and even nasal discharge can all be signs of allergies or something stuck in the nasal passage. This can also be the beginning of an upper respiratory infection. Many states are reporting outbreaks of a new strain of canine influenza so you want to keep an eye on her. Should any of the symptoms listed below develop you will want to have her seen by a vet
1.Coughing
2 Green discharge from the nose or the eyes
3.Loss of appetite
4.Lethargy
5.Fever
As long as she is eating, drinking and otherwise acting normal there are some things you can try at home to make her feel better.
Oral Benadryl - This is dosed at 1mg per pound of body weight 2-3 times per day.
Saline Nose drops- Infant drops are the best. Administer 2-3 drops in each side of the nose 2-3 time per day.
If at home treatment is not effective or you see any of the symptoms I listed above then she should be seen by your vet.
I hope this helps.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy