Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Dr. Fiona, my dog has some red bumps on the side of her

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Fiona, my dog has some red bumps on the side of her stomach
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.
How long have the bumps been there?
Can you estimate how many there are?
Do they seem itchy or painful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are maybe around 10 bumps all around one region by her hind leg on her stomach. I noticed them this morning. They were not there yesterday. They don't seem painful but she was biting them earlier in the day so I assume they are itchy. She doesn't seem to be scratching them now though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is still acting normal, no behavior changes or appetite changes.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
It sounds to me like it could be an allergic reaction...either to something in the environment or a bug bite of some sort.
If this were me, I'd try some Benadryl. The average dose is 1-2mg/pound, so if she weighs 50 pounds, you could give 2-4 of the regular 25mg tablets once every 8 hours or so.
You can also wash the area 2-3 times a day with a gentle soap (I like using baby shampoo because it doesn't dry the skin) and warm water. Then pat dry and apply a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin to the area in a very thin layer. Try to keep her from licking the area for at least 5 minutes after you apply it.
If that doesn't fix things in the next couple days, then you should have your vet take a peek, just to be on the safe side.
I hope this helps.