Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My female Spitz who is about 8 years old (we adopted her a

Customer Question

my female Spitz who is about 8 years old (we adopted her a year ago) has suddenly starting eating leather shoes. This began within the last week since we began administering medication of Lyme disease
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I see you are now requesting special services for a phone call. Is that the way you want to proceed? I have sent a special service offer
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
it seems you have gone offline. I will post my answer here
There can be a couple of reasons for this and some of the problems can develop very subtly. Canine cognitive dysfunction which is like human dementia can start with small odd behaviors, a thyroid problem would have her feel more hungry so she would tend to eat a non food item, or there may be a problem with a tooth where chewing something soft makes the gums or tooth feel better.
I do not think it has to do with the medication although it can be upsetting to the stomach if not given with food so then the dog would likely try to eat grass or other items.
I would not induce vomiting for small items as sometimes doing this can cause more harm on the stomach than good. Most smaller pieces do pass through with the help of a little canned pumpkin.
What I would try is getting her a few senior type chew toys from Nylabone or Kong which may server the purpose in need for her. I would also check the mouth our very well for any discolored teeth or gums as well as any lumps or sores.
For a while I would keep all items other than dog toys out of reach to keep her safe and if necessary crate her while you are gone.
This is a breed that can get themselves into trouble if bored so it may also be worth it to invest in puzzle type toys for her such as the buster cube, treat dispensing ball, and other puzzles you can find on amazon by typing in dog puzzles.
Keep note of any other odd behaviors as well as they may be connected. Sometimes it helps to document the odd behaviors to see if they coincide with something new (such as the meds) or a time of day, boredom, etc.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.