Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 8 year old dog is having a seizure shay can we do before

Customer Question

My 8 year old dog is having a seizure shay can we do before the vet opens?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello , I am sorry no one got to your question sooner. This can be quite scary for the owner. I am not sure if you still need help or not, but I will answer your question and hopefully at this time everything is okay.
When a dog has a seizure the only thing to do at home is to make him safe. So if it is a small dog that is on furniture , you may want to move him to the floor. Other than that there is nothing to be done but just sit with them and talk to them. Dogs will often become clingy or they may become distant after a seizure. This is normal.
If a seizure last longer then 7 to 10 minutes you want to see emergency help. THis may be an ER vet or call your own vet as they usually have someone on standby for emergencies.
If a seizure happens more than once in a 24 hour period or if the the dog has another seizure before fully coming out of a previous seizure, you want to seek vet help.
Because of the dogs age, you will want to get a senior check up e, especially if the seizure activity just started at this time in his life.
Generally if the seizures are far between one another nothing will be done, no medications, but if they happen frequently then the Vet will put the dog on medication.
Below is a link that goes over seizure activity, and causes.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/seizure-disorders-in-dogs