Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 2 year old bichon poo is going through one of her spurts

Customer Question

My 2 year old bichon poo is going through one of her spurts where she seems afraid of almost everything and she hides. If we let her outside we have a hard time getting her back in. She was acting fine all day and then all of a sudden age completely changed. Not sure why this happens. She's been very healthy so far.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
It can be very hard to determine why this happens with some dogs but this is not uncommon in many small dogs. Sometimes it can be weather related. In other words, if the barometric pressure changes this can affect the way some dogs respond as they may associate these changes with a potential storm. Sometimes they can be afraid of specific noises that occur outside or even on TV. The best way to try and figure this out is to try and look for common things that occur at the same time the fear does. This can be tough but with some effort you can figure it out. This is called situational anxiety. And there are very short acting drugs such as alprazolam that can be used to help with this. Please let me know if you have any further questions as I check my computer twice daily everyday.
Most Sincerely, DRJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
HI this is DR J and I was checking back with you to see if you had any other questions or concerns. Most Sincerely, ***** *****