Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My boyfriend stepped on my dogs paw on accident a couple days

Customer Question

My boyfriend stepped on my dogs paw on accident a couple days ago, I'd say probably Thursday. He was favoring it for a little while then he started walking normally. He doesn't like it touched at all but it doesn't seem to bother him pain wise, as he walks normally now and runs around and jumps(even though I'm trying to limit it). Now the two middle toes on the affected paw seem a little swollen and pink/red. It is a white paw so it may be the color of his skin, we just aren't sure. We cannot get him to a vet until this coming Thursday. What do you think it could be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Axle got his toes stepped on and was favoring it for a bit, and now has swollen toes, but I am please to hear that he is weight bearing now.
The two center toes bear most of the weight of the paw when a dog is up and moving so a fracture of either one of those almost always leads to nonweight bearing lameness. It is just too painful to walk on. That said Pitts are pretty stubborn pups, it is hard to keep them quiet and they tend to just power through things. That's what they are bred to do.
I would be much less concerned if the toes weren't swollen. It is possible that this is simple soft tissue trauma and bruising, and I would think that was the case with almost any other breed if they were walking on it. Even that will be worsened by too much activity, just like a sprained ankle will swell more and you will see more bruising if you are too active, too soon.
Just in case a veterinary visit and radiographs of the foot would be best. I understand that isn't possible for you until Thursday.
So in the meantime I would confine him to a cage or small room so he cannot use it too much. He should go outside on a leash to eliminate so he cannot run and play. Ideally no stairs, running or jumping until his veterinary visit. Even with soft tissue trauma the less he does the faster he will heal and the less swelling will occur.
I know he doesn't want you to touch it, I can't blame him for that. But if he will let you put an ice pack in it for 5-10 minutes several times a day that can reduce swelling.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.