Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8yr old English Bulldog has a half eraser head size small

Customer Question

My 8yr old English Bulldog has a half eraser head size small red ulcer on the 4:00 position of his right eye. He has shown symtems for about 3 days. He is on alergy medications as well. I have photos of his eye.
RICK
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he had any tearing or squinting?
What color discharge from the eye?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

Can you confirm you are seeing this in both eyes?

Will he allow a closer or clearer view?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The dog does see in both eyes. The discharge from his eye is white in color. He just finished a round of antibiotics from a biopsy where the site became infected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure why the same photos populate multiple times.

Also in the previous post I stated he had an infection from a biopsy. This biopsy was in his stomach side rib area not in or around his eye.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,

First, I will say right off that I do not like what we are seeing here. These changes in both eyes raise concerns that there may have been an ulcer (since there is a haze on the cornea around these and the pink looks like the membrane from within the eye) but I cannot rule out possible abnormal granulation tissue or conjunctival tissue having proliferated or stuck to the eye.

Since you mentioned antibiotics being used recently, can you tell me which ones they were?

Do you think his eyes look drier then usual?

Do you see a lot of white mucus from his eyes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This condition is only affecting one single eye.

The eye does not look dry.

There is sometimes a thick white to clearish mucus in the eye. This can be seen in a few of the previously uploaded photos coming out of the eye.

The antibiotics for his previous unrrlated condition are: see photo

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I have reviewed the receipt, but I am glad to report that neither the antibiotic nor either pain relief treatment are likely to have played a role in what we are seeing. As I noted before the changes to the eye look like we either have a corneal ulcer that has gotten so deep that the underlying pink membrane is showing through or we have an overgrowth of granulation/scar tissue (potentially a corneal sequestrum type lesion) forming on the cornea potentially secondary to a trauma to the eye.
In either case, I do feel it would be prudent to have this checked by your vet but they may potentially need to refer him to an eye specialist. If this is a severe ulcer, then it may need a conjunctival graft to help it heal. But if it a proliferation/growth, then we may need to consider biopsy to see what it is and whether tit be safely removed from the eye.
Overall, in this situation, this growth we are seeing is very abnormal and does raise a few different concerns. Therefore at this stage, we would want this checked so that an ulcer can be ruled out or treatment started immediately. Otherwise, if it is a growth, then we'd need to tread with care in approaching diagnosis and potential treatment for it.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will check as soon as I get back in town thank t you

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
That's fine.
Travel safe,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now the red spot has moved from the 4 o'clock position to the 7 o'clock position and slightly closer to the center but not quite to the black area of the eye.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Richard,

If the mass is spreading or moving, I do really think this needs to be checked by your local vet. If this were my patient, I'd not be happy to see granulation tissue potentially spreading over the eye here. So, if he is due a booster soon, I do think its worth moving that appointment up, so this odd eye change can be checked in person.

Take care,
Dr .B.