VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

She was diagnosed with having crystals in her urine. Tried an antibiotic & then have h

Customer Question

She was diagnosed with having crystals in her urine. Tried an antibiotic & then have her on Natural Balance dog food, which I think is better for her than the RX dog food. Months later she struggles to pee, tries to pee constantly and lately she hides all the time, is lethargic (weak) and her gums seem to be really pale and they feel dry. She is not acting like herself, eating very very little.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog. Sorry it has taken someone so long to get back with you.
Based on what you are describing, I am concerned that Ginger is having an emergency issue that needs to be addressed at a an emergency clinic tonight.
There are many different causes for obstructions to the urethra, but dogs that have crystals in their urine are very prone to developing bladder stones (where the crystals latch together to form a large stony mass). If something like that were to block her flow of urine, this could lead to waste chemicals from the urine leaking into her blood and possibly shutdown of her kidneys.
Straining to urinate, pale gums, and weakness are all very concerning signs. I think at this point it is safest to get her into an emergency clinic tonight to seek immediate treatment. If you don't mind replying back with your zip code, I'd be happy to locate an emergency clinic in your area for you.