Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My Boston terrier seems uncomfortable. He's drinking a lot

Customer Question

My Boston terrier seems uncomfortable. He's drinking a lot of water, not eating normal, & seems like there might be a lump bear his throat
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I understand that you are concerned because your fellow is drinking more water than usual, and then urinating more than usual and has a lump near his throat.
Most normal dogs take in between 1 to 2 ounces of fluid per pound of body weight per day. True polydipsia (increased water consumption) is when a dog is drinking more then 2 ounces per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period without other demands (such as very hot temperatures or excess exercise). So for a normal 25 pound dog he should be drinking 25 to 50 ounces per day. That's 3 to 6 cups of water per day for a 25 pound dog.
Things that can drive an increase in water consumption and subsequent increased urination range from a urinary tract infection, urinary calculi (stones in his urinary tract) to a prostatic infection to developing kidney or liver disease or even diabetes.
We can also see increased water consumption and urination with diseases such as Cushing's disease, or even some types of cancer (lymphoma or anal gland tumors), diabetes insipidus, or a decreased production of aldosterone, which is a hormone that stimulates the kidneys to concentrate the urine.
The most common cause of increased water consumption and urination in dogs is a urinary tract infection, and with a mild or early infection you may not necessarily see any blood or a change in the way the urine looks, and in older dogs early organ failure.
Because he has a lump near his throat however we do need to be concerned about a possible tumor, and lymphoma would be a consideration. Here is a link of a diagram of the external lymph nodes in a dog. This will allow you to look for enlarged lymph nodes.
http://animalclinicsuburban.com/clients/14369/images/Blog%20Photos/lymph%20nodes.jpg
If he is drinking a noticeably increased amount of water compared to usual I would have him examined by his veterinarian and check a urinalysis to start. That test will tell us if he is spilling protein or glucose into his urine, which could signify kidney disease or diabetes, and can also allow us to look for signs of infection.
Depending upon what we see on his urinalysis then some blood tests may be recommended too. They will also likely want to aspirate the lump near his throat to determine what it is and how concerned we need to be.
In the meantime I do not recommend limiting his water, in most cases that could lead to dangerous dehydration and whatever is going on with him he needs the additional fluids..
Please let me know if you have any further questions.