Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

We have a 8 week later doodle. The vet says she has crystals.

Customer Question

We have a 8 week later doodle. The vet says she has crystals. What type of treatment can be used for puppies
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Maya hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

It would be helpful to know if her urinalysis indicated any other results in addition to crystals. Any protein, blood, white cells or bacteria, for example. It would also be helpful to know the kind of crystals which were identified since there are several different ones.

The presence of crystals alone in a urinalysis may not necessarily indicate any pathologic process; it may simply be an artifact because the urine wasn't evaluated right away. This is often a problem when urine sits around--crystals can precipitate out and cause confusion in interpreting urinalysis results.

Unless my patient is showing signs consistent with a possible urinary tract infection (uti) and/or the urine also reflects such a problem, I don't treat my patients when crystals are the only urinalysis finding.

But, the treatment options for a pup this age would be pretty much the same for an adult dog: antibiotics if a uti is present with the choice of drug primarily dependent on vet preference unless a culture and sensitivity is done.

I also advise my owners to increase fluid consumption to help flush out the bladder.

Otherwise, there are no specific treatments for urine crystals unless they happen to be ammonium urate although these crystals are primarily seen in Dalmation dogs, not Labradoodles.

If this were my case, I'd want to confirm that the presence of crystals was a real finding and not an artifact. I'd collect fresh urine, spin it down and examine it under the microscope immediately. Then, I'd base a treatment plan based on the findings...which hopefully, would be the absence of crystals with no further treatment necessary.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb