VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My 13 week old puppy just ate over 2 pounds of his puppy food.

Customer Question

My 13 week old puppy just ate over 2 pounds of his puppy food. His stomach is huge.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
This can lead to a couple of very serious issues in dogs when this occurs. The first would be bloat, which is essentially when a pet's stomach is filled up with food, gas, or fluid and causes distention. In a case where the bloating is severe enough to cause life-threatening signs, this can become an emergency.
When large quantities of food are ingested, we can sometimes see the stomach twist and close the openings to the esophagus and intestines, essentially closing off the passage of food, either way. This is called a GDV.
Since inducing vomiting in a young puppy with such a distended stomach after eating a lot of food can be extremely dangerous to do at home and the severity of the signs that can occur with such a case, it's safest to go ahead and get into a clinic to have Jax evaluated.
That being said, not all huge ingestions will lead to GDV. Some dogs will get irritation from the pressure to their stomachs and vomit large amounts of food back up to release the pressure.
What we tend to see with bloat or GDV is an extremely distended abdomen, retching or attempts at vomiting that bring nothing up, weakness, heavy drooling, a pale color to the gums, rapid breathing. If any of these other signs are seen, this an emergency that needs to be treated immediately.
A vet would be able to examine Jax and determine if bloat was developing, potentially even monitor him in clinic until the abdominal distention recedes. They will be able to limit his activity, control the discomfort and pain, and take immediate action if his stomach twists.
As I said prior, inducing vomiting in these cases can be dangerous, though some clinics may sedate him and attempt to drain the food out of his stomach.
Most places will keep them for 24-48 hours with fluids, pain meds, and controlled exercise until they send them home.
Due to how rapidly this can turn into an emergency, it is best to get Jax in for care, rather than trying to monitor at home.