Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is yelping every time I touch him and shaking. Pain

Customer Question

My dog is yelping every time I touch him and shaking. Pain seems to be around his rib cage. He's a mini dashuand and weighs about 9 lbs. what's wrong with him? My parents had a dashuand that ended up needing back surgery. Is that what this is??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I see you are offline at this time so I will try to address your concern.
Dachshunds are prone to disc injuries and it can be quite painful. With this you will see yelping when touched, slower movement, not jumping up on furniture or climbing steps may be harder, sometimes there is an arch in the back and sometimes there is limping.
To be sure that should this be the cause of the pain, it is kept under control until you can visit your vet, it is best to keep the dog well rested in one spot, with going outside for potty reasons only.
For pain Plain aspirin can be given but be sure to let your vet know you have given this as other pain meds may have to wait until the aspirin leaves the body. I will direct you to a site on the dosing and side effects of aspirin. Do not use tylenol or ibuprofen, just plain aspirin and give with food.
If at anytime the pup looses the use of the rear legs it is an emergency so seek an ER vet if your vet is not open.
If possible put the pups water dish near him so he does not have to travel far. if you have a crate that would be ideal for him to rest in. I am going to direct you to a site on back problems as well which will give you symptoms and treatments.
Aspirin and dosing, you may see improvement with the aspirin, but still try to keep the dog calm until your vet visit.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin
Disc disease
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd---thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs
You can try alternating warm and cool packs every 20 minutes along the ribs.
Another possibility around the rib cage would be a referred pain from the stomach. If the dog has eaten any fatty human food then pancreatitis can come into play.