Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

My dog is having difficultly getting up and moving around.

Customer Question

My dog is having difficultly getting up and moving around. She barely wants to lift her head. She doesn't want to eat or drink and she hasn't used the bathroom. I'm very concerned
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How old is your dog?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is 13 years old. It started Friday night. No vomiting or diarrhea. Actually no poop just pee. No medical conditions.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Prior to this happening was she having trouble with her limbs like getting up from the floor or going up stairs?
2- She is lethargic, correct?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was no problems with her limbs. She is lethargic. She started to stand and walk but only a little. Her gums are pink. I don't have anything to take a rectal temperature.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when a dog is lethargic and decrease appetite these are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common possible causes could be: Anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do home. Your dog will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings.
I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter