Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog looks very sick, he might have got in the trash and

Customer Question

my dog looks very sick, he might have got in the trash and i can't get to a vet until tomorrow
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for your question regarding your dog who seems to be very ill after potentially getting into the trash earlier on today. There are a few things that could be going since he potentially got in to the rubbish, and it definitely sounds like your boy is nauseous and you could expect to see some vomiting in the next few hours. It is also more than likely you will see some diarrhea over the next day or two.
If he seems to have settled for now, then for the next little while, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
If your boy seems really quite lethargic now, then I really would recommend you play it safe and get him seen by your local ER Vet tonight. Here your vet will be able to put him on IV fluids and give him supportive care until his symptoms improve.
For now you may also want to try your boy with a little pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr Edwards
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I hope your boy is doing better today? If you get a chance to send through and update on how he is doing, that would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc