Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

How can I help my dog die peacefully? She has not had any

Customer Question

How can I help my dog die peacefully? She has not had any water or food for 3 days, she is extremely weak.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Unfortunately, there is no way of helping your dog pass peacefully at home. Those methods that many people tend to thing of such as overdoses of pain medication, etc. often do not euthanize the dog and instead the dog has seizures and ends up in worse shape then they started. As it is, her lack of food and water may trigger hypoglycemia and lead to seizures. A drop of pancake syrup on the tongue or gums will prevent that.
I've heard of people who have even thought that a bullet would serve the purpose, but it also doesn't serve that purpose either though many think it would. Any method at home tends to not work well and lead to the dog having even a worse passing then you could imagine.
You are doing about all you can if you are choosing to not have her euthanize at the vets. The vet could even come to your home and perform the procedure there if you wish her to be at home. I am so sorry that your dog is to the point where she has no quality of life. I'd keep her comfortable like you have been doing, but please don't try to administer any medications as it will truly not help make her passing any easier and potentially could make it much worse.
I wish there was a method that could help in situations like this, but there isn't. If money is an issue, you might take her to your local humane society or talk to your animal control. They might know of a low cost euthanasia program available as well. My heart goes out to you. I have been in your situation and the heartbreak of losing your beloved dog is terrible. But it is the love you have for them that makes euthanasia the best thing for your dog.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cleo. How is everything going?