How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19266
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 lb. dog just ate a dark chocolate hershey kiss, including

Customer Question

my 18 lb. dog just ate a dark chocolate hershey kiss, including the wrapper. will she be ok?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
For a 18 pound dog it would take about an ounce of dark chocolate to get vomiting and diarrhea. A hershey iss is about .2 ounces, so you shouldn't see any issue from the chocolate. Now the wrapper should go through with no problem as well, but since it is foil and a foreign object, it might lead to an obstruction though it isn't real probable. You should feed a piece of bread to help cushion the foil on its way through the system.
I'm going to ahead and give you the standard information on chocolate so you have it if this happens again.
Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. In your dog's case it isn't that much chocolate for her size.
Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.
The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested. Once you look at these you will see that .2 ounces is very small.
http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm
There is also an interactive chart available as well here:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive
If your dog had ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you would have needed to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. A vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through the dog’s system with less absorption and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.
You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs so you may want to watch for signs of abdominal discomfort and vomiting. You can read about pancreatitis here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler