Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My female Siberian is in heat, has had 2 successful litters

Customer Question

My female Siberian is in heat, has had 2 successful litters in the past. This time using our other male who is a little younger and she keeps sitting when he tries to mount her. Re-introduced the male from her other litters and she ran and hid from him. Proven male is going crazy to get to her. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.
How many days into her heat cycle is she?
How old is the male?
Are both males around?
Was the older male the one that impregnated her previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She started with the bloody discharge last week. This week she has gotten more and more swollen, the older male 2.5 has a 'horny' cry he does and he has been doing that the past couple days. He is the one that had the previous 2 successful litters with her.Our younger male almost 2 years has never had any litters. He is currently in the same crate as the in heat female, and they only come out together. Yes the other male is around visibly, but is separated from the female in heat by a crate. After a couple days of unsuccessful attempts by the younger male we tried letting the older male mate with her and she ran away and hid under the couch not even allowing him to come near her. She has never done this before and has a clean bill of health from our vet. She is a fabulous doggy mommy and her previous litters have produced amazing animals including several now therapy dogs. I'm so confused on what her issue is right now. The crate she shares with the male is a 6x10 crate and she's only in it when we have the other male out so we don't have any aggression between the males
Sahara,
Thanks for the additional infomation. It is helpful The heat cycle has three stages with the first one being the time when she is bleeding and starting to swell.
During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period.
Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days.
Now from your description, I can't tell if she is definitley in the second stage of heat or not. You really need to make that determination. However, I do have to tell you that when there are multiple available males, the female will tend to have a preference as to which one she wants to mate with.
So it could be that she isn't in the right stage of heat or that she has a preference for the older male. The fact that she ran from the older male as well makes me feel it is likely she is still in the first stage of the heat cycle. Taking him out of the picture and away from the home, can help convince her to the other male mate if she does have a mate preference.
Remember that the female should be put in the males territory. So if the younger male has his own kennel, put her in with him rather than the males in with her. She is more dominant in her own territory while they are more dominant in their own. The older male may not have this problem if he is a proven stud.
. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's been lifting her tail out of the way and then when the younger male mounts her if he isn't there in 3 humps she puts her tail back over and sits down
Sahara,
She might be just entering the stage so she is flagging but not quite there. You likely have about 7-9 days after the bloody discharge becomes straw colored for the mating to occur. With a new stud, it might take a couple of days for him to even really catch on.
If she refuses to stand for him, you might have to end up using a breeding stand. You can see one here:
http://www.bullytree.com/dog-breeding-stands/
I don't use a stand as my male prefers my female to be moving forward when he mounts which can't occur if she is in a stand. If you are going to attempt to hold her, put a basket style muzzle on her. It will also aid the male in mating since she can't turn on him and nip at him.
If you are not moving her to them, do that first. If all fails, you still have the time to consider Artificial insemination. Your vet can do so fairly quickly since you will have both the female and male. Or you can consider doing it yourself. Here is an excellent site on this.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/dog--white_2.htm
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/semeneval/dog.html
And purchase kits from here:
http://www.equitainer.com/Canine/AIKit.htm
http://www.pinnaclepetsupply.com/ai-kits.htm
http://www.camelotfarms.com/other_products.php
Here is an AI video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXlniylh5g
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.