Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog may have licked up some bug spray,wich contain petroleum

Customer Question

my dog may have licked up some bug spray,wich contain petroleum products
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible..
Was it the kind of bug spray you put on people or the kind you spray in the yard or house?
Do you know much she may have licked up?
How long ago did it happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE SPRAY IS FOR ANTS SME LICKED IT YESTERDAY
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
As a general rule, petroleum itself isn't toxic to dogs...it's the additives they put in it that causes the problem.
That being said...overall, ant sprays are very, very safe to be used around the house, and that includes if a dog licked a little bit of it up. Normally we see some vomiting or diarrhea, especially if the dog has licked up a lot of it, and it doesn't sound to me like your dog got very much at all.
If we were going to see a problem from this, you likely would have by now. There would be symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea, lethargy or anorexia...but I really don't expect to see any problems here.
I hope this helps.