Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a puppy I bought her on Thursday the lady said she

Customer Question

Hi I have a puppy I bought her on Thursday the lady said she was 8 weeks old but I'm pretty sure she is younger she's a shitzu cross pug I'm a little worried as she has a lump were her ambilical cord was but it seems to have got bigger her belly is a little swollen to but also she goes by sound and smells when you place food in front of her you have to put her nose to it otherwise she'll be sniffing for it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
It sounds like she has an umbilical hernia. Umbilical hernias can be dangerous if they are large enough for intestines and other internal organs to partially pass through and become strangulated. If they are small they are usually just left alone and repaired at 6 months during a spay or neuter procedure. If they are quite large they should be repaired earlier. Some very small hernias will actually close on their own.
Sometimes it is recommended to keep a belly bandage on the puppy until they are old enough for surgery to make sure that internal organs don't start to protrude. It is believed, for the most part, that umbilical hernias are hereditary and these animal shouldn't be used for breeding. Some do think that the mother may have something to do with it by excessively pulling on the umbilical cord at birth. Here is a link to more information.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=442
So I do suggest you get her into the vet as soon as possible to be evaluated, get her first vaccinations and dewormed. If the breeder let her go that young, it is likely she isn't vaccinated or dewormed.
Your vet can evaluate her eyesight as well at that time. Shih tzu's can have problems with their eyes that might contribute to less than perfect eye sight. The vet can check this when examining the hernia and getting her a wellness exam.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.