Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My golden retriver was kept in a patio with shade, but the

Customer Question

My golden retriver was kept in a patio with shade, but the heat yesterday must have been too high to bear and he had a heat stroke I believe; he was panting very hard, vomiting and discharging everywhere, he couldn't stand up and continue to secrete saliva.
There were only two and half hours between the time my nanny, who cleaned my house left, and when I returned, my nanny told me the dog was fine when she left.
There arn't any dependable vet near where I live in China, I wrap my dog in wet towels and throw a bucky of ice on him and lie him under full blast air conditioning; his temperature was at 109F and did came down to 103 soon after; he has been resting a full 12 hours last night but still couldn't stand up, his eyes are open and he seems calm and has no panting. Please advice what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear what happened to Snoopy. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
A temperature as high as 109 is very concerning. Any idea how long he was that hot?
Having a high temperature can cause brain damage, and could be why he can't stand. This may get better with time, but having a vet assess him would be best.
Is he eating and drinking now?
I would keep monitoring his temp to be sure it is under 103, check his gums to see if they are a normal pink color. If he is not eating and drinking, he could become dehydrated. If he were mine, I might have him on IV fluids until his temp is normal (101 to 102) and he is eating. It sounds like that is not practical for you, but maybe your local vet could give fluids under the skin if he is not eating and drinking.
If you lift him, can he move his legs? Or does he seem to be paralyzed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost the same time after I finished writing to you, Snoopy walked into my room, still look very tired but did walk slowly to me; I quickly guided him to the kitchen and pour him a bowl of water with several spoons of glocous sugar, he drinked some and is now lying on the kitchen floor; I also poured him some milk, which he normally would go crazy for it; but he isn't interested, so I left him alone.
The local vet did insert an IV needle inlet on Snoopy's leg, is there a way I can administer IV myself, I had no training at all, but can I go buy something from a local drug store and hang a bottle of IV for Snoopy myself?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is great he is walking!
No, you can't give IV fluids at home. A sterile catheter has to be put into a vein, which takes experience and practice, even if you could buy such things in stores.
You can give SQ (under the skin fluids) at home. You need sterile bags of fluids, sterile lines, and needles to put under the skin. Your local vet should be able to show you how to do this, and supply you with the needed things.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I will be going offline soon. How is Snoopy doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebecca:
Thanks for tehelp, Snoopy seems beter now, he can walk a bit and came looking for me a couple of times; he drink some water but could't keep it down and vomitted afterwards; other than that, he just looks very tired.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear he is continuing to walk better.
If he can't keep water down, he may be become dehydrated. I would have your vet check his hydration level; are his gums still pink in color? He may need some under the skin hydration if he continues to vomit.
Let me know what else I can answer.