Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I was playing with my lab chasing her ball on cement....not

Customer Question

I was playing with my lab chasing her ball on cement....not thinking about it. She has cut all four of her pads.My father inaw said she hasn't gotten off the bed and hasn't eaten. We are out of town...so they usually pout for about a day anyway.  So I don't think the laying on the bed thing is an issue...but she eats like it's going out of style usually.  I noticed when I brought her in from playing there were drops of blood on the entry floor....I thought it was from her gums from playing with the ball....I feel aweful.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your girl was injured. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years I would be happy to help.

It would be unusual to see them cut their pads just from running on concrete, this time of year it is more burns that we see from running on hot cement/concrete. We often forget that the paw pads are not immune to the hot concrete so do not feel bad this is actually something we see fairly often.

I would hold off on the New Skin or we could trap infection in there. I would have your father in law soak the feet twice daily in warm water with epsom salt.I would see if he can find Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% . This is a topical antibacterial cream used to prevent burns/wounds from becoming infected. This also helps to sooth the pads.He should be able to find this at a pharmacy if not then feed stores carry this.

Pad injuries are very painful so it is possible that you will need to have her seen by a vet for proper pain medication. If he can get her eating then he could try aspirin. This is dosed at 5mgs per pound of body weight ever 12 hours, but must be given with food.He can try offering a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice

If the pads are to painful to touch he can spray the pad with Bacitracin spray which will help numb the pads.

I hope this helps and she does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating so that I am compensated by JustAnswer for assisting you. Candy