Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I feel reall strange asking this, we have a three year old

Customer Question

I feel reall strange asking this, we have a three year old little girl (dog), she has had one litter about a year ago (we wanted to let her have one more before spaying) and I think she may have been gotten by our little boy, we did have her panties on, she is producing milk now but doesn't seem very big for being pregnant, can pimitra (sorry for the spelling) have the same physical charateristics as a regualar pregnancy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
First let me tell you that dogs can experience false pregnancy when they are not bred and it can appear as if a dog is pregnant including weight gain, milk production, etc. The difference is she won't actually deliver pups. She may even adopt stuffed animals as babies for a few weeks. This is not that unusual. So if she isn't pregnant, she might be having a false labor. Read more on this here:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/false-pregnancy-or-pseudopregnancy-in-dogs/1059
As for pyometra, it generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.
http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra
If she isn't having any vomiting and diarrhea or loss of appetite and otherwise seems fine, I'd probably hold off until you estimate she is a week from delivery and see if you can feel pups moving. You can generally feel them move the last week of pregnancy. Of course, a vet visit can confirm pregnancy with imaging as well if you are able to get in at one point or another.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Asia. How is everything going?