Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 7 year old Labradoodle has cancer in her lungs plus pseudomonas

Customer Question

my 7 year old Labradoodle has cancer in her lungs plus pseudomonas infection. I have had her on Baytril for 3 weeks (272 mg / day for 59 lb. dog). My vet told me 3 weeks ago she probably wouldn't last a week but she is still with me. My question is - could she have contracted the pseudomonas from a dog with an ear infection? I know her time is limited - we are spending quality til the ned. She is the world's happiest and smartest dog so it is a really tough time. Thanks
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there anything else I can do for her?
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.
I'm sorry to hear about your sweet girl and her illnesses. I'm sure you're absolutely heartbroken about the possibility of losing her so soon.
To answer your question about whether ear infections are contagious from one dog to another...in a word: No.
Canine ear infections are generally caused by yeast or bacteria and are not contagious from one dog to another.
You can read more information about it here:
http://drbarchas.com/ear_infections
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/yeast-infection-in-dogs-causes-treatment-and-prevention
Unfortunately pseudomonas is one of the most common infections in both humans and dogs, so even if your dog were perfectly healthy, she may have contracted it at some point, but in a healthy dog, they'd be able to fight it off.
I hope this helps.