Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has been acting like she's constipated, tries to go

Customer Question

My dog has been acting like she's constipated, tries to go but can't, but what she does eliminate is small amounts of loose stool, like mud. She's had this for the last two days and it doesn't seem to be getting any better
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
It sounds like your dog actually has colitis (inflammation of the colon) vs constipation. This is a common cause of straining to defecate and diarrhea.
To get it to resolve, I typically use a round of an antibiotic called Metronidazole. If you want to try something at home first, you can give her 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin 2-3 times daily with her meals. The extra fiber in pumpkin is good for colon health. If that doesn't help, then get her seen and started on the meds.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cindy. How is everything going?