VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

Yes, ....I took my pug to the doctor (12 years old) bc he

Customer Question

Yes, Hi....I took my pug to the doctor (12 years old) bc he had a UTI. 2 weeks on antibiotics. (he has 2 days left of meds). Within the last week, he hasn't ate his food often, which is not a pug chararteristic at all. Tonight, I walked over by his bed, and he spit up bile. Not sure what to do. :(
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog. Sorry it has taken someone so long to get back with you, did you still need assistance with your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To continue on the question below, he did get blood tests done. Couple of things; liver/kidney function are normal; his blood sugar was normal. Slight increase to potassium levels: 5.6 potassium; sodium/potassium ratio was a little below the range at 26. May have an issue of not producing enough steroid? (per the vet's voicemail).

The sodium/potassium ratio in dogs can be used to evaluate for a disease called Addison's disease. This is a disease process that is caused by the the adrenal glands failing to produce appropriate amounts of corticosteroid. This is probably what your vet was discussing with you.

This is a really simplistic explanation of a complex disease, but there is a really good website for owners of dogs with Addison's disease here:

http://www.addisondogs.com/addisons/

Not all changes to the sodium:Potassium ratio indicates Addison's disease though, as things like prolonged diarrhea can cause smaller changes. Based on the results of the blood work on your dog, your vet will likely want to do another test called an ACTH stimulation test, where they inject a small amount of the hormone into him and then do another blood test to determine how it affects his glands. As per the website, this will help them rule out Addison's as the cause of his illness, and get him on the right medication to treat it. It can be confusing to understand, but once diagnosed, it can be medically managed so that a dog with Addison's can still live a normal life.

Hi Stacy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

VetTechErin