Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

8 mo 85lb rottie just punctured a tide pod she got some in

Customer Question

8 mo 85lb rottie just punctured a tide pod she got some in her mouth tried to rinsed it out...what should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of veterinary experience. I am sorry to hear that your girl punctured a Tide pod and got some in her mouth.
All detergents are gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. We do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases of possible ingestion as that only leads to further irritation of the esophagus.
You did exactly the right thing by flushing her mouth with cool water. If you can still smell the detergent I would flush her mouth again.
She is a big dog so you may not see any symptoms from the small amount she possibly ingested.
At this point I recommend watching her for any symptoms.
If she starts to drool or vomit we can do some things at home to ease her stomach and gastrointestinal irritation.
To try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. (2 of the 10mg tablets should be fine for an 85 pound girl)
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours. (2 of the 10mg tablets should be fine for an 85 pound girl)
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if she has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.
Once she's feeling better then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.
If she is continuously vomiting, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best she see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat her gastrointestinal system.
But if she shows no symptoms there is no need for you to do anything.
Let me know if you have any questions.