Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My Dog suddenly stopped wanting to go out the other

Customer Question

My Dog suddenly stopped wanting to go out for walks the other day which is totally out of character. I literally have to carry her to the edge of the driveway and nudge her a bit a few times before she'll start walking, and then she seems normal though at home she's a bit lethargic; any ideas? She's a 2 year old Shiba.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Whenever there is such a drastic behavior change such as you are seeing the first thing to have checked would be health.
Behavior wise it would be something that the dog is suddenly fearing, something new in the neighborhood or something that hurt it while out on a walk.
Because you are stating that the dog is lethargic in the home as well then it would be wise to have her health checked. Unfortunately nothing can be diagnosed over a computer with such limited symptoms however there are things you can do at home to check her health and make sure at least the vital signs are normal.
For instance the gum color can tell you a lot about a dog as well as the capillary refill time and the rectal temperature of the dog.
In looking at the background of the Shiba Inu they are prone to some illness that would tire them out or have them feeling tired. ONe such ailment would be hypothyroidism, however this can only be diagnosed with a blood test.
Hip dysplasia is another however you may also see a her having a hard time moving in general. If she seems a bit slower to get up, they have diminished muscle mass,decrease in exercise, and swaying or swaggering of the hips.
Your vet may be able to determine this upon an exam but sometimes x rays are needed.
I would start with the basics (taking the vital signs) in general an infection of the urinary tract can also tire them so if there is an increase in water or frequency in eliminating I would check into that.
Tick born illness is another thing seen this time of year. Some cause pain with movement. Again you would need a blood test for these. Lyme disease comes to mind when dogs are reluctant to move.
I am going to direct you to a site that will tell you how to take the dogs vital signs and what is normal. When it come to the temperature you can use any thermometer.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs-heart-rate-breathing-rate-and-temperature
The dog flu is also spreading around so if you have been around other dogs or a daycare for dogs facility that should be ruled out.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brett,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Keiko. How is everything going?

Sally G.