Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog keeps moving his gead from side to side like he has

Customer Question

My dog keeps moving his gead from side to side like he has vertigo
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me.
Could Bonsai have gotten into any toxins?
Has there been any vomiting?
Is he eating normally and drinking?
What color are his gums?
Does he have any history of ear infections?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I see you have gone off line and I am soon going off as well.
What may be going on is a bit of vestibular disease. This can sometimes happen due to an inner ear problem, however it can also be idiopathic and this is seen in older dogs. Also known as old dog disease.
Generally there is dizziness similar to vertigo. The dog may have a head tilt, may walk in circles, may not eat due to nausea, and the eyes may dart from side to side.
This usually last a couple of weeks and then corrects itself, however you do want to be sure an inner ear problem is not the cause as that can be painful.
If it is idiopathic then you just wait it out. Some animals are left with a head tilt for life and others get back to normal.
Here is more on vestibular disease.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs
There are also many different videos on the internet of a dog going through this if you do a search for vestibular or old dog disease under video you will see many.
Strokes can also show similar symptoms to vestibular , though they are more rare. The good news is that strokes do not affect dogs like they do people and again the dog should return to normal after a few weeks.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brenda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bonsai. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u very much he seems to b doung much better is back to normal I did video it it was odd
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear he is doing better:)