Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a male 14 year old Chihuahua/Pomeranian Mix dog

Customer Question

Hello, I have a male 14 year old Chihuahua/Pomeranian Mix dog who has a swollen left rear ankle. It became swollen previously when he injured it, but the vet I took him to diagnosed it as arthritis. He'd favored it when standing but still jumped off of it and ran on it. Lately, he's been having further problems, and is currently hopping on 3 legs whenever he tries to move around. What can I do to help him other than reducing his movement?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.
DId they send any medication out with him the last time?
How long has he been having problems this time?
DOes he have any other health issues?
Is he currently on any medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did not give him medication, and he is currently on no medication.It's been 3 days he's been keeping it up as much as possible.Other than some vision problems, and a recent growth removal, he's been healthy all his life.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
For tonight, I think you can just monitor him. I don't think you need to rush to the emergency vet or anything since this has been going on for a couple days and he's otherwise healthy and happy.
Tomorrow, give your vet a call and ask them about sending out an anti-inflammatory such as Rimadyl to help bring down any inflammation and help him feel a little more comfortable.
If he's been to the vet recently...and it sounds like he has been....then your vet may be willing to send out pain medication without seeing him in person.
I hope this helps.