Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I think my 80 lb dogs has eaten a 1000mg metformin.

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
If this has been within 2 hrs of ingestion, induce vomiting by following these instructions:
Give 16 teaspoons of peroxide and wait 15 minutes. If no vomiting, then try it again. You can do this 3 times safely.
You will not see the plls in the vomit because they would have already dissolved but if Moore does vomit, then you can be sure that he will be safe. This amount of Metformin is toxic and if it has been over 2 hrs, contact your vet immediately.
This LINK wll explain in more detail.
http://www.aspcapro.org/resource/shelter-health-animal-care/metformin-overdose-dogs-and-cats
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****