Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a horrible feeling that my dog has eaten some glass,

Customer Question

i have a horrible feeling that my dog has eaten some glass, she is a 6 month old giant schnauzer and we came into the kitchen and she was sat over a broken glass that she has pulled off the table. Since then she has been coughing and wrenching
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bobbi this holiday weekend. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Dogs do eat pieces of glass, and it always surprises me that often the pieces pass without much trouble. If she is vomiting and retching, she may have a piece caught in her throat.
If she drinks water, and swallows it, that is a good sign there is no blockage. If she were mine, and this retching continues, I would try to get a good look into her mouth and throat, which most dogs don't allow us to do without sedation.
So if this continues, a vet visit may be a good idea. If she will drink, try some food, but only if she is not vomiting. Feeding bulky foods like canned pumpkin and cooked sweet potato can help push things like pieces of glass through.
Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer. Rebecca