Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is vomiting up water and will not eat..she is panting

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting up water and will not eat..she is panting and won't lay down... She is extremely thirsty but it doesn't stay down
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your German Shepherd. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
How long has she been vomiting, and not able to keep water down?
If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale?
Could she have eaten anything she shouldn't?
Is she spayed?
This is an info request to help me understand what may be going on with her. Rebecca
Re
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just since last night and no her gums are still pink and yes she is spayed
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
It is a good sign that her gums are pink. Good to know she is spayed as well.
Any chance of her eating something toxic or indigestible?
This could be due to several different things: an infection, eating something that is causing a blockage, or internal disease such as pancreatitis. Pancreatitis, acute inflammation of the pancreas can appear all of a sudden with no known cause. Theses dogs are painful, which causes them to pant, and vomit even water, so it is hard to keep them hydrated.
It is hard to treat dogs that are vomiting this much because everything you try to give by mouth just is vomited beck up. If she were mine, I would probably give an injection for vomiting, take an Xray, and test for pancreatitis. If she has pancreatitis, she likely will need to be given supplemental fluids, by IV or under the skin.
How soon could you get her to a veterinarian, are there any clinics open today near you? I know it is a holiday and vets are closed, but if she were mine, I would not be trying to treat her at home. I would go to an emergency clinic if you can.
Let me know what else I can answer. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks... I don't know if anything is open where I am is there anything I can try from home
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You can try famotidine, Pepcid AC for vomiting. A large dog would take 15 to 20 mg twice daily. My concern is that it will just be vomited back up before it can do any good.
She needs fluids. Try offering water or broth in very small amounts, or letting her lick ice cubes.
Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will try that til I can get her to doctor
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope it helps. Let me know how she is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer. You will still be able to ask questions, and give me updates.