Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Is it true that eating chocolate might kill a dog? He's a cavalier

Customer Question

Is it true that eating chocolate might kill a dog? He's a cavalier king Charles spaniel, four years old?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Chocolate can be toxic to dogs but I can run through the numbers for you, please tell me your dog's weight in pounds, how many ounces of chocolate was swallowed and what sort of chocolate was it dark or milk chocolate? 2. How long ago did your dog swallow this chocolate?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott