Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog has been unable to rest comfortably past 8 hours. Will

Customer Question

My dog has been unable to rest comfortably for the past 8 hours. Will lie down for about 10 minutes and then get up, apparently in pain. He has had bad arthritis in his hips for years but nothing like this has ever happened before. Do I need to find an emergency vet? He also has a history of bladder stones but is not having trouble urinating
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Milou has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. or has a severe form of aggravated arthritis. This is very common in older terriers because of their conformation. Since he does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Milou jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as MIlou is eating well now, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****