Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My friends nursing female ingested difethialone. He didn't

Customer Question

My friends nursing female ingested difethialone. He didn't know what it was but noticed that the package was off of the shelf and chewed open. Her stools showed signs of it but are back to normal now. She seems ok and the puppies seem ok but I am trying to read online to see if there is anything we can do at this point. The puppies are three weeks old. Should they be separated from their mother?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your friend's dog ingested difethialone. This is an anticoagulant rodenticide which is secreted in the milk. That means that these puppies have been exposed to the toxin as well via milk.
It can take several days for symptoms to become apparent.
Bleeding can occur anywhere, and about half of affected animals will bleed into their lungs, leading to lethargy, a bloody nose, weakness, coughing and pale gums and tongue.
Ideally all of them (bitch and puppies) should be treated with vitamin K-1 for 4 weeks.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.