Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 yoa American pit tires quickly on walks, she is

Customer Question

my 7 yoa American pit bull tires quickly on walks, she is on thyroid meds
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell

Does she sit down and refuse to walk on these walks?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Since you noted that she is breathing heavy, can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Does she have any history of heart murmurs?

Any coughing or changes to her breathing noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She stops and waits excessive panting her gums are pink no heart murmurs no coughing 20 breaths
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if Swixher tires on walks, we need to be concerned. This is because slowing on walks with excessive panting and takes breaks can be a sign of a few different issues. To start, since we already know that she has thyroid issues, we need to make sure these are not playing role here. This is because we can see fatigue, lethargy, and exercise intolerance when thyroid levels are too low. So, if she has not had her levels checked recently, she may need them checked at this point and/or her medication dose adjusted.
Otherwise, I do have to note that these signs are often seen as early stage warning signs of heart and lung disease. Therefore, even if she isn't coughing, breaths normally at rest, and is fine when not on long walks, we need to be wary of these. Therefore, if she is due a check soon (if you get her thyroid levels checked or she is due a booster), we'd want to have her vet listen to chest and make sure there are no issues with these organs.
Overall, her signs do fit with her thyroid condition being unstable but this can also be a subtle sign of brewing heart issues. Therefore, I would advise short frequent walks instead of long ones and considering having her checked +/- a thyroid level tested to pinpoint whether these issues are afoot and address them for her to get her back to walking comfortably with you.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just had her thyroid meds adjusted. and just had her physical so what next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just take her in for a visit with the vet?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If she did just have a physical exam and dose adjustment, then I would suggest ringing her vet once they are open and having a word about these signs, their exam findings (since they will have just listened to her heart/lungs), and how long they would anticipate that adjusted dose would reach peak effect for her and thus rule that out as a cause for her signs. Otherwise, depending on what they have found and suspect, you may next want a heart scan or xray. But I'd touch base with them first if they did just check her and adjusted her dose.
All the best,
Dr. B.