Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Dogs ate a whole one pound of rat poison

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.
Has your dog vomited yet? When did this occur? What is the brand of rat poison?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both my outside dogs tore a hole in the tin shed to get the rat I assume. We had 2 one pound blocks in there and they r gone. Tomcat brand. Diphacinone. It was consumed between 9pm and 7am. I gave 2 teaspoon of peroxide ab 15 min ago. No vomiting
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this has probably already been digested. You need to get them to a veterinarian right away. They will need activated charcoal, an injection of vitamin K, and oral vitamin K. You can't get these things at a human pharmacy, so you will need to see a vet right away.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no vets that will see them today. Most r just open for the grooming and boarding part.
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
What city and state are you located in?