Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We have a Weimaraner, he had an insupseption early in 2013.

Customer Question

We have a Weimaraner, he had an insupseption early in 2013. The vet removed 6 inches of his lower intestines, then he got sick again as he was in the hospital and had a rotten smell when he burped. She took him back into surgery and removed another 3 1/2 feet of lower intestines. Now we have him on royal cannin, gasteolintestional, high energy, along with anti-diarrhea medicine, and tylan. He was 52 pounds when it happened, went down to 36, and finally after a few months got him back to 48 pounds. Well I weighed him this morning and he is back down to 42, and looking very thin. While we changed the diet and played with it, since his incident in 2013 he has only had 2 solid bowel movements. They're still mainly watery and now rarely cow patty. Do you have anymore suggestions that may help? Also with the food he's been on for 2 years now, he doesn't want to eat it and takes 30 minutes to eat a cup and a half. When feeding we feed him a cup to a cup and a half every 3 hours to make it easier on him, but we will take any suggestions you may can help with
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
What anti-diarrheal are you using?
Does he receive any probiotics?