Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My min pin who is 6 yrs old has always been a floor licking

Customer Question

My min pin who is 6 yrs old has always been a floor licking poop eating dog, after catching her eat my younger pit bull fresh poop that evening she later that night started breathing strange and acting weird, her stool the next day I noticed had some dark red in it. Now she has diarrhea that comes out a dark red brown what is this and should I be concerned also she has thrown up liquid with a light red color to it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It appears that since your girl is acting strange and her breathing is odd, that she is pain from something. This could be a minor digestive disturbance that is treated as follows:
Fast her for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting and diarrhea have resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your dog to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.The presence of possible internal bleeding is a concern....there may be a primary bleeding issue in her tract or it may only be due to teh irritation of the tract causing bleeding that will resolve once the condition resolves.
If this continues, your vet will run testing to determine the cause for this which may be secondary to another issue or primary. This is important for your girl to find the cause.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****