Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a 4 year old German shepherd. A few days ago while I

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old German shepherd. A few days ago while I was on vacation my dog sitter noticed he started trying to regurgate while eating and also threw his food back up a couple times. He is also drooling quite a bit. I don't feed him bones but I am afraid that maybe he might have gotten ahold of something that he shouldnt have.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear your boy is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.
Do you know if the sitter may have given him something he is not used to having such as new foods, treats or human foods?
How have his stools been and when did he go last?
You mention you took food way for 12 hours and it did not work, can you tell me what happened when you offered food, did he refuse it, eat and vomit etc?
Have you give any medications?
How long has this all been going on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he was only given his normal dog food, purines dog chow. Also he hasn't been anywhere but here at the house. His normal routine of just being outside. When I took the food away and then gave it back to him he wanted it but then he seemed fine. I haven't noticed his stool because I have a huge yard and I just let him go. I haven't gave him any med's. This morning when I fed him he threw that food back up.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
If he is vomiting his food back up then I would have to agree that there is a big possibility that he has eaten something that he should not have and it is either stuck in the stomach and or intestines not allowing the food to pass through.Even dogs that do not normally eat thing can and will do this due to stress when an owner is away.
It makes it difficult to say for sure since we do not know if he is passing stool. In most cases if there is a blockage then no stool is being passed. I always stress to owners that even if you have a large back yard it is important that you see your pet pass stool daily, this is because many things can be caught sooner if we notice a change in the stools.
Since this has been going on for a few days, I must suggest having him seen by a vet today for some x rays. A foreign body left in place for to long can result in perforation or destruction in the area that the object is stuck, system wide infection and even death.
Until you can get him in I would with hold food again. You can try Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours.
I know no one likes or wants to hear go to the vet but I really think that is in his best interest at this point considering the length of time this has been going on and the fact that the fast did not help.
I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating to close out the question. Closing the question does not mean that you can not come back for follow up as the question is always open to you. It simply closes it on my end so I can assist other pet owners. I strive to provide excellent service so please reply back if I can be of additional assistance.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tonya,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took him to our local vet on Sarurday. She prescribed medicine for his upset stomach. She thinks he possibly has whip worms. I had missed a couple heart worms pills, so we done all the blood work and it came back negative thank God. It's only been two days and I have been trying to watch him very closely. He still is slobbering a lot, she said that is due to his stomach. If he is no better bg Friday then we are going for xrays to make sure what's going on and also to have his hips xrayed. He isn't even four and already showing signs of hip dyplaysia. Thank you for contacting me back to check on my big baby.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am happy to hear that you were able to get him in to the vet to be seen. If this is whip worms then getting back on track with the heartworm prevention should clear that problem.
Unfortunately this is a breed has always been prone to hip dysplasia and for years they were so popular that they were over breed and poorly breed and now years later we are seeing the effects of poor breeding. Many of these dogs now have hip dysplasia at a young age and just general poor confirmation ,we are also seeing increased cases of EPI, which again has always been a problem in this breed but has gotten more common over the years.
Hopefully he will start feeling better soon. Please keep me posted and do not hesitate to reply back if you have additional questions. There is no additional charge for follow up so I would be happy to help if you have any questions after the x rays.