Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I have a 10 y.o. female Standard Poodle who is in season, 8th

Customer Question

I have a 10 y.o. female Standard Poodle who is in season, 8th day. There has been little discharge and only slightly pinkish and then it stopped. About 5 hours ago, she peed bloody urine with some clotted blood on a tissue. She is very thirsty, and feels like peeing frequently, and it is bloody and about 2 teaspoons. Our vet is away, so we took her 2 days ago to another vet because she was peeing every hour and thirsty. Urine looked normal in color. Per vet, no bacteria in urine, somewhat elevated white count, temp has remained at 101. She is anxious and I might get to see a trusted former vet tomorrow if open on holiday weekend.
Question: CALMS, a homeopathic formulation, does not seem to quiet her enough. I have 30c Arnica Montana. Can I give her that while she is in estrous to calm her down. (It helps me sleep after gym workouts.) Thanks, Andy.
Carlson, Orlando. (The vet I went to as a substitute gave me Ciproflocasin, but I have not given it to Lily. It seemed like overkill without knowing cause. PS: She just peed on kitchen floor...bloody with some clotted. Thanks
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not been bred. I am an experienced poodle owner, breeder and shower for 30 years. This situation is unusual for me. Emergency clinic is availale, but want to wait to see regular vet. in a.m. Want to get thru the night.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Andy is not on right now. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Canine health and well being. I assume the Vet checked her for a Pyometra, since she has been seen.
You can give her a 100 mg's of Vitamin C or some unsweetened Cranberry Juice tonight to help if this is a UTI. The Vitamin C makes the Ph change in the Urine and loss hospitable for bacteria to grow, since you do not want to use the Cipro.
You can use some Melatonin to help calm her tonight. Melatonin is given in stressful situations and may help her. I can be given at 1 mg three times a day. You can read more about it here: http://www.vetblog.net/2013/01/dog-melatonin-uses-dose-rate.html
Arnica is also something we use for dogs and you can read here for the instructions: http://www.yourolddog.com/10747/arnica-for-dogs-and-how-to-safely-use-it/
You have one more option which is Plain Benedryl which can be given at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours.
No matter which of these you choose please make sure you let the Vet you see in the Morning to let them know so if they have to give a medication that there is no contraindication between what you gave tonight and what they will give in the AM.
Please make sure she is getting plenty of fluids so if she has to go it is not in dribbles which is common with a UTI.
When they check her out they may do a Cystiocentisis to get a clean Sterile urine sample for a sensitivity and culture.
I hope this information is helpful and that it will offer some relief for the night.
Joan